There are several dozen libraries in Belgrade, great places to check out if youâ€™re still into physical books or need a quiet place to study and read. Most university libraries offer books in foreign languages, while Belgradeâ€™s beautiful bookshops are also good places to find the most popular foreign books in English.
Belgrade boasts several well-stocked libraries, scattered across the city:
- The National Library of Serbia is the oldest cultural institution in Serbia, with an impressive collection of books spanning centuries of history.
- The Virtual Library of Serbia is where you can find an electronic database of all the libraries in Serbia, along with their catalogues and availability.
- Belgrade City Library just across the Kalemegdan Fortress has a pretty neat collection of titles and also organizes cultural events from time to time at its Knez Mihajlova space.
- Svetozar MarkoviÄ‡ University Library is the largest university library in the country, a favorite spot for Belgradeâ€™s many students, researchers, and professors. Note that others are also welcome to join and use the libraryâ€™s reading rooms.
- Startit Centar also has its own library, with books on tech, business, entrepreneurship, management, and finance related topics.
Apart from these, Belgrade offers many more libraries. The easiest way to access them all is through the previously mentioned Virtual Library catalogue.